Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Lessons from the Grinch


I watched the Grinch tonight with my children. It is one of my favorites. I love the part where the narrator says that the Grinch realizes that "Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store." As I watched it I was thinking....What if we as a family didn't have any presents? What if we didn't have any food? No Christmas decor? What if some green monster snuck into our house in the middle of the night and took it all away? What would we do on Christmas Eve and Christmas day without all of the mayhem of opening gifts? Would we sing like the Whos just for the joy of Jesus's birth? I hope that through the next several years of my children's lives I can help them to understand what Christmas truly is. That even if we don't have all the trappings, it is a day of celebration no matter what that looks like. Watching that show tonight made me think seriously about what traditions we need to form as a family that will honor Jesus no matter what our circumstances. That way if there is ever a time when we have nothing....No presents, no decorations, and no "roast beast", we will still have a meaningful Christmas together where Christ is honored.

No comments: