Monday, November 10, 2008

Material Girl







Ok, so I learned several weeks ago that Madonna is getting a divorce. And yesterday in the Target checkout line I learned that she is in custody negotiations with Guy. She is making bizarre demands about what her children can eat, what they can watch on TV, etc. One of the reasons that she doesn't let them watch TV is because she says that TV is just crap and there is nothing on there spiritually edifying for her children. Let's see, maybe crap like Madonna rolling around on stage touching herself in her white virginity garb? Or maybe the Pepsi commercial where she burns the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ? Or perhaps she doesn't want them to see what the rest of the country has been subjected to a million times......her kissing poor Britney on the VMA's with tongue.
The bottom line is that I am tired of Madonna. Very tired. Bone weary if I have to hear any more about her life I may scream tired. I realized the other day that Madonna has been part of my life for 25 years. That is a quarter of a century. A quarter of a century of her shenanigans, of her trying to 'reinvent herself'. Ever since I was nine years old and heard 'Lucky Star' on my parents radio, she has been a part of my life. Her and lots of other celebrities.
My question is, why do I know the things I know about celebrities? Why do I know that Suri still takes a bottle? And that Britney has a new nanny? Or that Nicole Ritchie breastfeeds? Do I want to know these things? My brain just sucks up these facts while I am standing in the grocery line or while I am flipping channels on TV. It actually scares me a little to know that I have thousands of celebrity facts floating around in my cerebellum.
Americans love to worship celebrities. They are our royalty, our gods. I believe that people were created to worship. It is as much a part of us and encoded in our DNA as much as breathing, eating, loving. It is how God designed us, except that He wants us to worship Him. My prayer is that I do not put anybody or anything else in His place. So God, help me not to worship money, food, stuff, or celebrities. Because I know that Madonna is a very poor substitute.

1 comment:

beckygiggles said...

Love this post! I, too, am over the material girl.